WORLD

U.S. Health Officials Says Covid Booster Use May Extend Coronavirus Epidemic News


The FDA advisory body this week recommended coronavirus booster shots for people over the age of 65 and at high risk.

Top U.S. health officials say the widespread approval of the Covid-1 boo booster shot could be the week after a Food and Drug Administration (FDA) expert advisory panel recommended a third job for a limited portion of the population this week.

The director of the National Institutes of Health said Friday’s FDA panel Pfizer Covid-1 boo booster shot was an initial step to limit Americans 5 years of age or older as well as those at high risk of serious disease.

In an interview with Fox News Sunday, Dr. Franc Francis Collins predicted that “in the next few weeks” there would be more widespread approval for most Americans.

Collins said the panel’s recommendations were correct based on “snapshots” of available information about the effectiveness of Pfizer’s two-job approach over time. But he said real-time data from the United States and Israel continue to show the effectiveness of the reduction among more people that needs to be addressed soon.

“I think next week they will decide to increase the booster beyond the list they approved on Friday,” said Collins, who also appeared on CBS’s Face the Nation program on Sunday.

Some rich countries, including the United States and the United Kingdom, are considering coronavirus booster shots in recent surges with highly contagious delta variants.

But the World Health Organization (WHO) this month called for a moratorium on booster shots amid concerns over vaccine supplies to poor countries, where millions have yet to get their first jobs.

A team of international scientists said last week that despite the threat of delta strain, “a booster dose is not appropriate for the general public at this stage of the epidemic.”

“Any decision on the need to boost or increase the time should be based on careful analysis of adequately controlled clinical or epidemiological data, or both indicate a permanent and meaningful reduction in serious disease,” the scientists wrote in The Lancet Medical Journal.

Dr. Anthony Anthony Fawcett, chief medical adviser to U.S. President Joe Biden, praised the FDA’s advisory board plan on Sunday to cover a “good portion” of Americans. But he insisted that “this is not the end of the story” based on the information that is coming up and said the guidelines would probably be extended to a few months in the coming weeks.

Those who have received the two-dose modern vaccine or the one-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine in the United States are still awaiting guidance on possible booster shots.

“It simply came to our notice then [on] The third shot for Modern and the second shot for J&J are literally a few weeks apart.

“We’re working with the FDA right now to get the data so they can test it and make a decision about the helpers for those people.”

The FDA will consider the advisory group’s advice and make its own decision, probably within a few days. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is also set to weigh in this week.





Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button