Former President Donald Trump on Saturday told his former trade adviser Peter Navarro to remain silent and “protect executive privileges” in the investigation by the “Communist Democrats” into his administration’s coronavirus crisis.
The House Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Crisis, chaired by Rep. James Cliburn (DS.C.), a former director of the Navarro Office of Trade and Manufacturing Policy, subpoenaed Thursday. The committee is examining the Trump administration’s response to last year’s deadly COVID-19 increase, which will quickly disappear months after Trump promised.
“I urge Peter Navarro to protect executive privileges and not allow these unscrupulous Democrats to disrespect our great achievements,” Trump said in a statement posted Saturday on his Twitter account by aide Liz Harrington. (Trump is banned from Twitter.)
Trump called his administration’s response to COVID-19 “unprecedented and incredible,” even though more than 400,000 Americans died in his wake from the illness.
According to a Bloomberg report, Navarro’s subpona has claimed that he will appear for a statement on December 1 and will hand over documents related to the coronavirus response by December 8.
Navarro often lied about the coronavirus and the administration. He emphasized the need to focus on Trump, and said that it was even more important now with the Cold War. He unfoundedly called the epidemic a “product of the Chinese Communist Party.”
An investigative government report earlier this month named Navarro as one of at least 13 Trump aides and officials who blatantly violated the Hatch Act, barring federal workers from using their official positions to influence elections.
Navarro spent time campaigning for Trump on taxpayer money when he was supposed to serve the public by doing government work, a previous report concluded.
He already seems to have thumbed his nose at a tweet House Committee.