The mother of a young woman who was shot by a school resource officer in Long Beach, California, was declared brain dead and will be removed from life support on Friday, the family’s attorney said.
Mona Rodriguez, 18, was shot by the Long Beach Unified School District Safety Resource Officer on Monday as she tried to escape from the scene of an earlier dispute near Milicon High School in a car.
California Man gets life sentence for deadly synagogue attack
According to the school district, the school resource officer was responding to an alleged fight between a woman and a 15-year-old girl. Long Beach police said Rodriguez, a man and a boy, tried to leave the battle scene in a gray car, but the school resource officer hit and shot Rodriguez.
Rodriguez was sitting in the front passenger seat at the time of the shooting, police said.
Investigators determined that Rodriguez initiated the real argument and that he and the 15-year-old girl were “acquainted with each other,” although police said the motive for the argument was unknown.
Government of California NEWSOM SIGEEPING POLICE REFORM BILLS
Rodriguez’s two-year-old boyfriend and the father of his 5-month-old son, Rafiul Chowdhury, said emotionally outside Long Beach Memorial Care Hospital on Wednesday, “I want justice for my daughter, my baby mother, the love of my life.”
“I want him to stay in jail for what I did to my girlfriend,” he said. “She didn’t deserve it.”
Family and friends lit a candle for Rodriguez on Wednesday night.
Prior to the family attorney’s update, family members said the hospital had informed them that she would be removed from life support against their will on Thursday. At the end of the day, Rodriguez’s family attorney announced that the young woman would be removed from life support on Friday.
Earlier in the week, the family wanted the attorney general to investigate and the officer accused of his death.
The family’s attorney said they had no way to stop the hospital from disconnecting the young mother from life support.
The hospital did not comment, according to Fox 11 LA.
School officials said no student was injured in the shooting and no indication of any student involvement was found. No one from the Long Beach Police Department was involved in the shooting.
A 20-year-old man and a 16-year-old boy were also involved in the fight, according to Long Beach police. However, police are investigating their “level of participation” in the fight.
Click here to get the Fox News app
Long Beach police and the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office are both investigating the shooting. The school security officer who fired the shots has been put on leave.
A protest is planned for Sunday, demanding the filing of criminal cases against family members and community officials.