Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Neglect.
Family Attorney David Brill confirmed Monday that 52 families from Parkland’s Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High will be part of the settlement, the first South Florida Sentinel reported. He did not say how much money each family would receive, but the families of the slain 1 student and three staff members would get the most shares. These will be equal.
The decision comes after the school district won a Supreme Court ruling that could limit the total damage to $ 300,000 without legislative approval.
“This settlement is fair and in significant circumstances,” Brill said. Still, he said, “There is nowhere near enough money to compensate the victims. In fact, there is not enough money to do it. ”
The school district declined to comment.
Andrew Pollack, whose 18-year-old daughter, Meadow, was shot dead, told Sunsentinel that the settlement had “painful meaning.”
“It’s hard to talk about money because your daughter was killed,” he said. “How can you be happy about it?”
Two school board members, who were elected after family members were shot dead, did not attend the district talks on the settlement. Laurie Alhadef lost her 14-year-old daughter Alyssa and Devi Hickson lost her husband, Athlete Director Chris Hickson. Their families will receive payment.
Compensation will also be paid to 17 injured and 19 people who have suffered serious injuries.
The family of Anthony Borges, a seriously injured student, is continuing their own lawsuit, saying his injury will require lifelong medical treatment for which he will have to pay more. He was shot in the lungs, abdomen and legs.
Their lawyer, Alex Areza, said Borges had “physical wounds healing, but (traumatic stress disorder) is manifesting itself all the time.” He hopes for a settlement soon.
Other families still have a lawsuit pending against the Broward Sheriff’s Office and the school’s armed resources officer, former deputy Scott Peterson, for not being able to enter the building to face the shooter. Peterson, who has faced criminal charges, said he did not know where the shots were coming from.
They are also suing two security guards who they said did not respond when the gunmen arrived on campus.
Nicholas Cruz will plead guilty Wednesday to 17 counts of first-degree murder and 17 counts of attempted murder, his lawyer said last week. He faces the death penalty or life imprisonment without parole.
Fisher reports from Miami.