On Saturday, a gang kidnapped at least 16 American and Canadian missionaries while they were at a Haitian airport on their way home.
Haitian Justice Minister List Quitel told CNN the kidnappers now want $ 1 million each before their release.
The missionaries were abducted on Saturday by a powerful “400 Maoist” gang after visiting an orphanage in the northeastern city of Crix-des-Bouquet, in the capital Port-au-Prince.
Also, USA Today reported that protests are underway on behalf of the abducted missionaries.
It is also reported that the protests shut down businesses, schools and public transport.
As previously reported, the Ohio-based Ministry of Christian Aid confirmed in a statement that a group of 1 people had been “kidnapped” while visiting an orphanage on Saturday.
The statement said on Sunday, “We are requesting prayers for the team of staff of the Ministry of Christian Aid who were abducted during a visit to an orphanage on Saturday, October 16th.” “We are seeking direction from God for a solution, and the authorities are looking for ways to help.
The group has also been blamed for abducting five priests and two nuns earlier this year, according to the Associated Press.
The abductees include “an 8-month-old baby and children aged 3, 6, 14 and 15,” CNN added.
According to sources, two French priests were also abducted at the same place. The Haitian government suspects that 40,000 gangs known as Mao Zedong are behind the abductions.
CNN also reported that the 400 Maoist gang has 150 members and that it “basically took control of the Crix des Bouquet.
Pray to the abductees and their families. We’ll keep you updated, Rumiz.
Want updates directly in your text inbox? Call us at 917-722-8057 or hit Click here to join!