WORLD

Sudan’s Abdallah Hamdok released, under tight security Coronavirus epidemic news


Sudan’s ousted Prime Minister Abdallah Hamdok has been allowed to return to the country, according to his office, a day after the country’s military detained him in a coup.

Hamdok and his wife were released on Tuesday after international condemnation of General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan’s seizure of power. The United States has said it will suspend aid, while the European Union has threatened to do the same.

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres also demanded Hamdok’s immediate release as he called on world powers to unite in what he called the recent “coup d’etat”.

A statement from Hamdok’s office said the ousted prime minister and his wife were under “strict security” at their home in the Sudanese capital, Khartoum, and that other civilian officials arrested on the day of the coup were detained, their whereabouts unknown.

The acquisition comes after weeks of tensions between military and civilian leaders over the pace and pace of transition to democracy in Sudan. Al-Burhan was due to hand over the leadership of the country’s sovereign council to a civilian next month – a move that would reduce the military’s grip on power.

But the coup threatens to derail Sudan’s interim process, which began two years ago after ousting longtime leader Omar al-Bashir in a popular uprising.

On Tuesday, pro-democracy protesters returned to the streets, blocking roads in the capital with temporary barricades and burning tires. According to doctors, a day earlier, troops opened fire on a crowd, killing four protesters.

‘Coup d’etat’

Earlier in the day, al-Burhan made his second appearance since the coup, saying the army had been forced to take action to avoid a civil war.

The general said Hamdock was detained at his own home for his safety and would be released.

But among many other senior government officials detained on Monday, al-Burhan alleged that some had tried to incite rebellion within the armed forces, saying they would face trial. Others who are found to be “innocent” will be released, he added.

At the UN headquarters in New York, the Security Council held closed-door talks on Sudan, but took no action. This was despite Guterres’ call for the agency to work together to prevent “this epidemic of coup”. There were coups in Myanmar, Mali and Guinea before the military acquisition in Sudan, and coup attempts in several other countries.

Guterres said strong geopolitical divisions among Security Council members and the economic and social impact of the Kovid-19 epidemic “have created an environment where some military leaders feel they have full impunity, they can do whatever they want because nothing will happen.” Them “.

The council has previously expressed concern over the situation in Myanmar and issued a statement condemning the military occupation of Mali. Diplomats say it is still discussing a possible statement about Sudan.

Ahead of the meeting, Russia’s deputy ambassador to the UN, Dmitry Polyansky, said the council should “appeal to all sides to stop the violence.” He further added that “I do not think it is our job to identify such a situation as a coup or a coup.”

Meanwhile, the US State Department said Secretary of State Anthony Blinken had spoken to Hamdock after his release from custody.

He also called on the Sudanese military to release stranded civilian leaders and stressed that the United States supports changes in civilian leadership in democracy in Sudan.

The United States has condemned the Saudi coup

Washington has already announced that it will suspend সহায়তা 700 million in emergency aid to Sudan and said it is looking to send a strong signal to the country’s generals.

The State Department said on Tuesday that Blinken spoke with his Saudi counterpart, a key player in Sudan.

The statement said Blinken and Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhad Al Saud “condemned the military occupation of Sudan on October 25 and its impact on the stability of Sudan and the region.”

On October 25, 2021, the people of Sudan protested against a military coup overthrowing the transition to civilian rule in the twin city of Omdurman in the capital Khartoum. [AFP]

Sudan witnessed bloody crackdowns on pro-democracy protests in 2019 and there are concerns that security forces could once again use force on civilians. Protesters are planning a mass rally on Saturday to demand a return to civilian rule, which could prove a major test of how to respond to resistance to military rule.

The Sudanese Professionals Association, a group of unions behind the uprising against al-Bashir, also called on people to go on strike and break the law. Separately, the country’s main rebel group, the Sudan Popular Liberation Movement-North, condemned the coup and called on the people to take to the streets.

As a sign of division among Sudan’s civilian leaders, a group known as the Justice and Equality Movement has blamed the ousted government for the military coup. It said some officials had exclusive authority to make decisions and refused to engage in dialogue.

The group, led by Finance Minister Jibril Ibrahim, was the first to publicly support the military, but also called for an end to the state of emergency, the release of prisoners and the appointment of a civilian government to run the day-to-day operations. Earlier this month, the group took part in a military support position in Khartoum.

The military has sent mixed signals about Sudan’s future.

Al-Burhan promised to gradually restore Internet and communication services that had been disrupted by the coup. But the Civil Aviation Authority said it was suspending all flights from Khartoum airport until October 30.





Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button