Team news, stats and predictions ahead of Chelsea vs Man City in the Premier League on Saturday; Kick-off at 12.30 p.m.
Mason will miss Mount Chelsea Premier League clash with Manchester City due to a minor injury.
Chelsea’s 3-3 Carabao Cup penalty shootout win over Aston Villa at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday drove the England midfielder.
Edward Mendy has a hip problem to start scoring goals, but Christian Policeman is still on the sidelines with an ankle problem.
City of people As some of Pep Guardiola’s injury problems begin to subside, John Stones, Imerick Laporte and Rodriguez could again fall into controversy.
The trio returned to training this week and will be assessed on Saturday morning, but Ilke Gundogan and Oleksandr Zinchenko are expected to be dropped again.
Nathan Ake failed to win the Midweek Carabao Cup over Wycombe to attend his father’s funeral, but is expected against his former club.
How to follow
Follow Chelsea vs Man City on our dedicated live match blog. Highlights will also be released on Sky Sports Digital Platform and Sky Sports Football YouTube Channel at 5.15pm.
Last out …
Jones knows the prophecy
Oh hello. A horrible football match – it’s just a shame that it was selected for the Lunchtime Saturday slot and this kind of showdown between the two title favorites came early in the season. The two outstanding managers should face a cashier full of chess-like moves. Picking a winner between these two who are going at almost identical prices with Sky Bet is not something I’m going to waste my time on. It really shouldn’t be lost for both. And a draw at 23/10 with Sky Bet is a clever game.
My eyes are drawn to the card market.
The clash between the two title rivals early in the season opens up the possibility of a slow burner not having much room for each team in the counter-attack. A point is a completely acceptable result for both. This can result in less foul counts for both teams which ranks lower for the yellow card.
Since Thomas Tukel took over, Chelsea have been jointly shown the third-lowest card () 0 and City the second lowest (2) in the case of the ever-present Premier League teams. This is an average of just one card every 90 minutes for each team. Referees are happy to make the campaign more flowing, with referee Michael Oliver perhaps wanting to strengthen that point in the highest profile Premier League game so far and apply a ‘soft, soft’ approach. He did something for the high-profile season opener between Brentford and Arsenal, where he failed to show a card.
Sky Bet is expecting a judging card by their line. I do not agree. So, I’m happy to be back below 40 booking points (10 for yellow, 20 for a red one) in the hope that Oliver will allow a close-knit game to flow without the need to engage with him.
Score prediction: 1-1
- Chelsea have won their last three meetings with Man City in all competitions in the FA Cup, Premier League and Champions League. Between December 2005 and March 2009, they finally had a long victory over the Citizens.
- Manchester City have won three of their last six Premier League away games against Chelsea (L3), more than their previous 23 tours on top flight (W2 D8 L13) at Stamford Bridge. Citizens are trying to win the top-flight game against Chelsea for the first time since January 1955.
- None of the last 12 Premier League meetings between Chelsea and Manchester City have been drawn, with Chelsea City winning seven.
- Chelsea and Manchester City have a combined-best defensive record in the Premier League this season, including just one goal (equal to Liverpool). The Blues, meanwhile, have an xG 5.5 in contrast, which scored four goals less than expected based on potential value – the best difference of this kind in terms of division in terms.
- Chelsea have 15 clean sheets in 24 Premier League matches under Thomas Tukel, more than any other team since the Germans took charge.