Derek Chauvin is not happy about being sentenced to 22.5 years in prison for the murder of George Floyd. The former Minneapolis police officer is said to have filed papers expressing his desire to appeal against the court’s decision on Thursday.
According to AP News, Derek plans to appeal on 14 grounds. In the document, he claims that Judge Peter Cahill “misused or erred in his discretion during several important points in the case.” He said the judge abused his discretion when he “rejected a request to remove the trial from Henpin County due to pre-trial publicity.”
Derek further argues that Judge Cahill failed to hit him with a “clearly biased” judge, limiting the admissibility of evidence against George and allowing the state to add charges of third-degree murder.
After 10 hours of deliberation in April, a jury found Derek guilty of second-degree murder, third-degree murder and second-degree murder. He was convicted in June. As you may have guessed, Judge Cahill said before sentencing that his decision was based on truth, not emotion, not public opinion or an attempt to send a message.
Within the 90-day notice period given after Derek’s sentencing. However, he did not intend to appeal. Derek also called for a stay of the appeal process.
An affidavit filed Thursday states that Derek does not currently have a lawyer for the appeal process or the income to hire one. He further added that he has no income other than his low prison wages. Derek hopes for this appeal that the Supreme Court will review “previous decision to deny him a public defender” for his appeal.
Derek’s legal fees were previously covered by the Minnesota Police and Legal Defense Fund of the Peace Officers Association. In terms of the outcome of the trial, the source of the fund has dried up.
Derek wrote in his affidavit, “I have been informed that their obligation to pay for my representation has ended after I was convicted and convicted.”
Want updates directly in your text inbox? Hit us on 917-722-8057 or click here to join!