Aung San Suu Kyi denies “provocation” in first-degree testimony News of Aung San Suu Kyi

Myanmar’s popularly-elected leader, who was ousted in a military coup, has faced multiple charges in a closed-door operation.

Myanmar’s popularly elected leader Aung San Suu Kyi, who was ousted by the military in a February 1 coup, has denied allegations of incitement to public concern in her first testimony before a court since her arrest.

The generals, whose coup has left Myanmar in turmoil, have made numerous allegations against the 76-year-old and could face years in prison if convicted.

On Tuesday, he denied allegations of provocation by his party in two statements issued in February that condemned the military regime and called on international organizations not to work with them, the Myanmar Now News Agency reported.

Aung San Suu Kyi “defended her innocence very well,” a member of her defense team who asked not to be named told the media outlet.

The lawyer declined to give further details because the military prevented his legal team from speaking to the media about his hearing.

The generals detained Aung San Suu Kyi and senior members of the civilian government just hours before Myanmar’s new parliament convened in November after the general election.

The coup sparked nationwide protests and a mass civil disobedience movement, for which the military used force. More than 1,000 people, including children, have been killed since the coup, according to the rights group, a rights group that seeks death and arrest.

Aung San Suu Kyi has faced 10 more charges, including illegal ownership of a walkie-talkie, breach of coronavirus rules and violations of the Official Secrets Act. Myanmar’s state media has not reported on the progress of his case, and one of the only sources of public information about his trial – his lawyer Khin Mong Jao ​​- received a gag order from the military authorities earlier this month.

The order came after Khin Mong Jao ​​reported that ousted Myanmar President Win Mint testified in court that he had tried to force her to step down just hours before the military coup and warned her that she could be seriously injured if he refused.

Aung San Suu Kyi has been held at an undisclosed location and attended Tuesday’s hearing in a specially built courthouse in the Southeast Asian nation’s capital, Nay Pyi Taw.

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button